A list of resources, inspiration and related material. The most relevant resources are in bold.
- [book] The Mistress of Paris by Catherine Hewett. Inspiration for Demimonde.
- [miniseries] Tipping the Velvet (BBC production) or [book] the original book by Sarah Waters. Set in a late 19th century theatrical demimonde, albeit in London rather than Paris.
- [movie] 1871. A challenging movie-filmed-as-a-play about the Paris Commune, touching on many themes. Very didactic.
- [movie] Moulin Rouge!. Very problematic, in many ways captures exactly what we're trying to avoid, but does capture a certain sense of the fin de siecle and the theatrical demimonde.
- [article] Sarah Bernhardt on Dangerous Women Project
- [article] Sarah Bernhardt's Dramatic Life, Onstage And Off book review for
- [book] The Divine Sarah: A Life of Sarah Bernhardt
- [movie] A Scandal in Paris Lighthearted movie, set a little early, touching on themes of class and crime.
Paris and Haussmannization
- [article] Haussmann rips up Paris – and divides France to this day
- [article] Paris in the Belle Époque
French National Politics
- [article] George Boulanger
- [article] Sparknotes: The "Affairs" of the French Third Republic (1871-1914)
- [documentary] The Infamous Dreyfus Affair on In Search of History (youtube)
- [movie] Prisoner of Honor (1991 movie about The Dreyfus Affair) A "documentary posing as a movie" which tells the story of the Dreyfus Affair from the perspective of Col Picquart. [cw] anti-Semitism
- [course] France Since 1871 (Yale), episodes 1-12
- [documentary] The Statue of Liberty: Building a Colossus
France & Colonialisation
- [book] The Courtesan and the Gigolo. Inspiration for Demimonde.